Mark Cole: You Got A Problem?
Everybody has problems. If you aren’t sure about that statement, just ask someone—most people will gladly tell you all about theirs! When it comes to problems, I agree with Lou Holtz’s humorous perspective, “Don’t tell your problems to people! 80% don’t care and the other 20% are glad you have them.” While most people don’t…Read More
The 25-50-25 Principle of Change
Last year, I wrote about the difference between tension and conflict, and why it was necessary for leaders to know the difference. In short, tension is a healthy and temporary disagreement within a team that produces a positive outcome when addressed well. Conflict is unhealthy and potentially permanent disagreement that produces negative outcomes and must…Read More
How Would You Work With A Difficult Leader Who Doesn’t Like You?
From Good Leaders Ask Great Questions It’s difficult to work with someone you think doesn’t like you, especially when it’s your leader. Most people don’t respond to it well. They often do one of the following: Hide from the person: Many people go into avoidance mode. The good news is that there isn’t direct conflict.…Read More
OVERloaded and UNDERempowered
In my first leadership position, I didn’t delegate much. I didn’t need to; I had lots of energy, and the load wasn’t too heavy. But as time passed, and I moved on to positions with greater leadership demands, I was confronted with the fact that I had limits. I realized that I needed to focus…Read More
On getting along: Don't let personality overshadow purpose
When someone you don’t like or respect suggests something, what is your first reaction? I bet it’s to dismiss it. You’ve heard the phrase, “Consider the source.” That’s not a bad thing to do, but if you’re not careful, you may very likely throw out the good with the bad. Don’t let the personality of…Read More
When You Get Kicked in the Rear, You Know You’re Out in Front – REPOST
Greek philosopher Aristotle said, “Criticism is something you can avoid easily—by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.” Obviously, that isn’t an option for anyone who wants to be successful as a leader. Good leaders are active, and their actions often put them out front. That often draws criticism. When spectators watch a race, where…Read More
Leading difficult people: Critical Carl
There’s room in any organization for every type of person. From the big-picture person to the detail-conscious, all can make a valid contribution. But sometimes a team member’s strength can be their weakness. Attention to detail can become fixation on the negative. And the voice of reason turns into the voice of discouragement. This is…Read More
Don’t use a hammer to swat a fly off someone’s head.
My wife, Margaret, and I were married in June 1969, and like most couples, we naively believed that nothing but smooth sailing lay ahead of us. Of course, it didn’t take long for us to find ourselves in the kinds of minor disagreements that all couples experience, especially when they’re first adjusting to married life.…Read More
Understanding people makes the difference
The ability to understand people is one of the greatest assets anyone can ever have. It has the potential to positively impact every area of your life, not just the business arena. For example, look at how understanding people helped this mother of a preschooler. Leaving my four-year-old son in the house, I ran out…Read More
How do I maintain a teachable attitude?
Teachability is not so much about competence and mental capacity as it is about attitude. It is the desire to listen, learn, and apply. It is the hunger to discover and grow. It is the willingness to learn, unlearn, and relearn. I love the way legendary basketball coach John Wooden states it: “It’s what you…Read More